In the slang of consumers of cannabis, shotgun can have one of a number of meanings.
Form of blowback
The blowing of a shotgun or super is another name for kind of blowback. When smoking a cannabis cigarette of some sort, most typically a hollowed-out cigar called a blunt, two people can participate in the blowing of a shotgun. When the cigarette is nearly burned all the way through, the lit end is placed in one persons mouth, with his lips clenched tightly on the unburning end. Another person (or both) forms a tube with his or their hands, and the person with the cigarette in his mouth exhales forcefully, forcing the smoke into the other persons mouth. A shotgun is best blown not with a very short blunt, but with a longer one as there is less heat build up in the blowers mouth. The blunt must, however, be short enough that its lit end does not burn the back of the blowers throat.
This practice is sometimes regarded as intimate, and to be performed only between friends or lovers. Sometimes in this situation, the person receiving the shotgun puts their mouth directly onto the cigarette in the other persons mouth, so that their lips may touch in a sort of kiss. In other contexts, there is little notion of intimacy involved, and a shotgun may be performed between and amongst complete strangers.
The term is said to have originated in the Vietnam War after U.S. soldiers adopted the method of smoking cannabis through the barrel of unloaded shotguns.
- A No-Joint Shotgun Oftentimes the shotgun (as described above) doesnt actually involve a joint or a blunt at all. Sometimes (and again, between lovers or close friends), one person inhales very deeply, holds the smoke in his/her lungs and then literally blows directly into the other persons mouth. This is regarded as very intimate and most straight men, even between friends, wouldnt do it with another man. Its quite efficient though because both get the effect of what otherwise would have been exhaled up in the air. The hit is not usually very potent, as the greatest part of the THC content is absorbed in the first few seconds.
- Hole in a glass pipe: On many glass pipes, there is a small hole on the side of the bowl. This hole, a shothole (sometimes called a carb), is plugged with a finger while the material is lit inside the bowl. Once the hollow pipe is full of smoke, the shotgun is let go, thus allowing the smoke to empty.
- Practice related to smoking a gravity bong: A gravity bong (a type of water pipe) consists of a container, generally a two-litre soda bottle, with the bottom cut off and placed in a pail of water. With the cap of the bottle converted into a hitter (which functions as the bowl in a pipe), the cannabis can be lit and air pressure will force the smoke into the bottle as it is slowly raised, lowering the water level inside the bottle. When the bottle is mostly full, the cap is unscrewed and the smoke inhaled. A shotgun occurs when the smoker carefully inhales and exhales repeatedly in sync with raising and lowering the bottle, repeatedly forcing the smoke into his lungs.
- Double-barrel shotgun: A shotgun, or double-barrel shotgun, is the practice of smoking two cannabis cigarettes, stuck adjacent to each other and smoked simultaneously.
- Determining smoking order: Shotgun is a technique used among some cannabis smokers to determine the order in which a cigarette, water pipe, or other smoking instrument will be passed around the group. Playing by the rules, the first person to call Shotgun Second while the cannabis is being prepared will be the second smoker in the group, the one who calls Shotgun Third will be the third, and so on. Alternatively, the person who calls shotgun merely determines the direction in which the implement travels, clockwise or counterclockwise, around the circle of people avoiding a complex path when many people are present. It derives from the United States tradition of calling shotgun for the passenger seat in a motor vehicle.